The Almen Saturation Curve Solver Program, developed by Dr. David Kirk, will automatically determine the Almen intensity and draw a graph for you. This program uses a MicroSoft Excel spreadsheet with the "Solver" add-in. Simply input your data (time and arc heights) and then click on "tools" and "solver" and you get an answer.
Request a copy of solver.xls by filling out the program request form. It's FREE!
The Almen Saturation Curve Solver Suite 2007 is compatible with Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010.
1) Enter the arc height data in 000's inch. For example: instead of .0046 use 4.6. The solver program precision is improved with the larger number format.
2) The Surface Enhancement Division of Fatigue Design and Evaluation Committee is working on a draft specification for curve solver programs (SAE J2597). To qualify to this recommended standard a curve solver program must return intensity answers within ±.001 (use "1" for this curve solver program). There are ten data sets in the standard and these are shown in the Excel spreadsheet for this curve solver program. For more information: pdf file or doc file.
3) Saturation Curve Solver Instruction Manual
4) Read Dr. Kirk's articles about saturation curve analysis from The Shot Peener magazine now archived in the Shot Peener Library. Interested in reading more of Kr. Kirk's articles? Click here.
5) Please contact me if you have questions or comments on this program. Jack Champaigne